Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Mo7ie Re7iew

I hope from the title you were able to infer what movie I'd be discussing in this particular blog post. If you haven't it's the 1995 David Fincher crime movie Se7en. Being that the only Fincher movie I've seen is Fight Club (1999), and some of my friends have chastised me for that *cough*David*cough* and I've decided to now go and master the entire Fincher catalogue, this time with one of his movies I've been meaning to see for years, the aformentioned Se7en.

The movie is obviously from the man who directed Fight Club, the lighting, music, and over all feel just reek of Fight Club, or I should say that Fight Club reeks of this movie due to their respective release dates. The movie reflects the script in a truly dark mirror, with a perfectly matched atmosphere for the dark dialogue and the grotesque imagery, especially during the opening scene portraying the Glutton victim.

I can see why some people would have an (albeit unhealthy) obsession with David Fincher. The movie plays out beautifully, every shot builds tension, and every line of dialogue is vital, no throw away scenes are in the 127 minute run time of this movie. The movie is full of gorgeous scenes, such as Somerset (Morgan Freeman) walking through the library to classical music, a brilliant juxtaposition to the horrors of the two crimes that procede this moment.

The John Doe killer is one of the most inventive I've seen put on screen, where as many killers have motives based on revenge, etc, John Doe doesn't really have a motive, well punishing the wicked is a motive, but the over all randomness of his victims is scary, scarier than a freak in a hockey mask or a tacky sweater.

The Chemistry between the actors also plays a big part of this movie, Morgan Freeman is brilliant (of course) delivering a great performance of a man who is at the end of his rope. He sees a city around him dying of rabies, and he's doing everything he can to whip the flecks from it's mouth. And we also get a strong performance from Brad Pitt, balancing out Freeman's intellectual, cultured, cop that's tired of the city with a young brash detective trying to make a name for himself. The two bounce off eachother quite well and as such create one of the best cop teams of film history.

Over all this movie is one of the best Crime movies and dare I say over all movies I've ever seen. From now on this movie will be one of my "If you liked that, you should see..." reference points. I say Kudos to Andrew Kevin Walker and David Fincher for one hell of a film.

Dr. Brooklyn says: LIKE this movie (9.75/10)

And after such a heavy movie I think we all could use a laugh... don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment