Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Comic Book Wednesday Part 1:DC

Yeah, it's that time of the week already... time for some more of my Comic Book Wednesday entries discussing the comic books I bought this Wednesday. To begin with I've decided to go with DC, so... here we go.

BATMAN AND ROBIN #17
Words by: Paul Cornell
Art by: Scott McDaniel

I never thought I'd say it... but I miss Grant Morrison. Although I didn't review any of them I read the first 16 issues of this series over the last few weeks and I fell in love with this series, and then when I found out that Peter Tomasi (Green Lantern Corps) would be taking over I was thrilled, but then I found out Cornell would be doing a three issue interim arc and I thought that it would be alright. Faithful readers... it is not alright. The plot seems alright, a cult that is trying to find the missing piece of their wedding (the bride and groom) and it is revealed that the missing Bride is a woman that has recently been robbed from her grave, and used to date Batman. See? The Plot is kind of creative... but the dialogue is... hideous. I'm relatively new to the works of Cornell, so this might be the norm for him, but it all just seems so weak and disheartening after Morrison's amazing run on the series. The art is kind of average, and as such doesn't really help or hinder Cornell's writing. I don't know how much this arc will set up Tomasi's run so I'm going to check it out just in case, but dear reader if you haven't jumped on yet... wait until issue #20 when Tomasi takes over, jumping in now would be like waiting to dive off a diving board until a person has drifted into the landing zone on an inner tube.

Dr. Brooklyn says: PASS this issue (4/10)

JUSTICE LEAGUE: GENERATION LOST #14
Words by: Judd Winick
Art by: Aaron Lopresti

Let me get this crack out of the way... I think a more appropriate cover would have been this. All kidding aside, the issue isn't a rip off... per say. I mean, yes a hero from the modern times getting sent to a dystopia where giant robots are killing heroes does sound a lot like the Uncanny X-men issues that make up Days of Future Past, but here the future is a different story. Captain Atom (who dueled with Magog in the last issue) finds himself 112 years in the future, teamed up with a grizzled team of Justice League descendants. Together they embarked to shut off an OMAC reactor... they don't and in the fight they realize that Captain Atom must come back tot he modern time and stop Max Lord from killing Wonder Woman which kicks off the war that lead to the dystopia that the heroes are in. Although not the best issue of JL:GL it's far from the worst, mixing a cool plot line with a cool future JL and bringing the climax that much closer. Winick continues to weave his tale in a splendid fashion, easily making this the best Brightest Day tie-in.

Dr. Brooklyn says: LIKE this issue (8.75/10)

So there's DC, a good and a bad... a little short though. But don't fret, I have 10 issues from marvel coming your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment