Thursday, September 16, 2010

Comic Book Wednesday (The day late edition) Part 2: DC

As has been typical, I read a lot more Marvel than DC, but here's the DC stuff I read.

BIRDS OF PREY #5
Words by: Gail Simone
Art by: Alvin Lee and Adrianna Melo

Over at the WCM boards I've insulted DC a few times for ripping off Marvel (Batman fighting his way through time to come back from the dead is the main example) and this issue displays a similar rip off. Black Canary is swept off to Hong Knog and is given the reigns to a ninja organization... when she builds a castle in Gotham then I'll be really pissed. I'm not a huge Simone fanboy, but i know she, and DC, know better than this. The issue has it's moments, but all in all the story is kind of weak and short.

Dr. Brooklyn says: AT LEAST READ this issue (7/10)

BRIGHTEST DAY #10
Words by: Geoff Johns and Peter Tomasi
Art by: Ivan Reis

I have been hating on BD for some time now, but all of a sudden Johns is turning this series around, but I don't think it'll be enough to salvage it entirely. The new Aqualad shows up and we get some great character stuff, and Firestorm goes through some changes, mainly releasing a Black lantern Deathstorm who has the power to destroy the universe with a new Bigger Bang (stay seated Mick Jagger). The writing is back to par with Johns great GL stuff, but still not as good as BN at it's best. Like I said, the series is turning towards positive ground, but it might be too late for a limited series.

Dr. Brooklyn says: LIKE this issue (8/10)

GREEN LANTERN: EMERALD WARRIORS #2
Words by: Peter Tomasi
Art by: Fernando Pasarin

This series has some potential, I just wish they would let Guy actually swear. The plot continues from the secret deal at the end of BN between Ganthet, Guy, and Atrocitus. But it is now kind of implied that the other lanterns are starting to realize that Guy is up to something, and Kilowog and Arisia go on a mission (that Guy wanted to be a solo mission) and disrupt some of his plans. Depending on how this continues, I think this could become one of the best series out there, it's really handling the darker side of the Green lantern corps, and I like that.

Dr. Brooklyn says: LIKE this issue (9/10)

So, I didn't read a lot of DC stuff, but what I did was good for the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment